Linda

POETRY IS WHAT THE SOULS OF THE ANCIENTS SPEAK TO THOSE STILL SEEKING WHAT IS MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THE WORLD. FROM: LINDA

Saturday, January 8, 2022

The talented South African poet, Don Beukes, translated some of my poetry into Afrikaans.  
Here is the second one.







Waar is Verlossing? * Where’s Redemption?
Ek is my eie projek,
melodies komponeer ek my temalied,
gebruik ek my eie denke, stem, en siel.
Daar’s geen twyfel oor
my goed-georkestreerde standvastigheid,
behalwe by diegene
wie toon-doof is.
Ek het herinneringe van beloftes gesing aan my,
dan gebreek - Naels op `n krytbord.
Die bedrieërs het my beskuldig,
luidkeels gepraat van my eskepades
wat nooit gebeur het nie.
Die onsekeres wil my in hulle koor hê,
maar hulle weier om die knoppie te druk
wat die knipslot losmaak van die musikale boks,
en die welwillendheid te verlos.
Maar ek verkies om nie `n wrok te hou nie.
Ek wag net vir bedagsame vermelding van my.
En aan die einde van al daardie liedjies kom betaling,
en myne sal wees vrystelling.



Where’s Redemption?
I am my own project,
tunefully composing my theme song,
using my own thoughts, voice, and soul.
There’s no mistaking
my well-orchestrated, stable grounding,
except by those who are tone deaf.
I have memories of promises sung to me,
then broken - nails on a chalkboard.
The cheaters have accused me,
chiming about my lively past exaggerated.
Liars have accused me,
vocalized about my escapades that never happened.
The insecure want me in their choir,
but they refuse to press the pin
that loosens the spring latch of the music box,
and release benevolence.
But I don’t choose to harbor resentment.
I only wait for considerate mention of me.
And at the end of all those songs comes payment,
and mine shall be exoneration.
Original Poems by © Linda Imbler
Translated by © Don Beukes

No comments:

Post a Comment