Linda

POETRY IS WHAT THE SOULS OF THE ANCIENTS SPEAK TO THOSE STILL SEEKING WHAT IS MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THE WORLD. FROM: LINDA

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

I am very pleased to have a new set of poems translated by the esteemed Vatsala Radhakeesoon. This one is translated into French.








The Value of Shadows
The rain lay soggy upon
the waterlogged branches of limp, bowed trees.
Appearing as the hunched and angled, stooped
backs of many old men walking here.
I caught a shape in the mist that
reminded me of you, or
perhaps I was just imagining
you and your soldiers returning
to the spot you had fought so hard to hold.
As the sun peeked through,
I discovered these were only trees,
although I remember it was here,
sixty years ago,
that your battalion won the day.



L’importance des ombres


La pluie laisse détrempé

les branches d’arbres fragiles ,courbées

s’apparaissant comme des bossus et s’inclinant , tout penchant,

les dos des vieux hommes qui y marchaient.


J’aperçus une silhouette dans la brume qui

me rappela de toi, ou

peut être que j’imaginais

toi et tes soldats revenant

au lieu où vous vous êtes battus de tout votre cœur.


Quand le soleil jeta un coup d’œil,

Je constatais que ce n’était que des arbres,

même si je me souviens que c’était ici,

il y a soixante ans ,

ta bataille remporta la victoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment