Linda

POETRY IS WHAT THE SOULS OF THE ANCIENTS SPEAK TO THOSE STILL SEEKING WHAT IS MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THE WORLD. FROM: LINDA

Thursday, October 19, 2017


As Halloween approaches, here's something a little spooky.

Editor Adam Henry Carriére of DM du jour and Danse Macabre published this short story in April, 2016.  Merci beaucoup, mon ami.


https://dmdujour.wordpress.com

Linda Imbler ~ Dead of Night

While strolling late one night as insomniacs sometimes do, I had a most terrifying and perplexing experience. As I rounded the corner of some hedges, I caught sight of one of my dearest friends, caught in lamplight, some yards away ahead of me. As I opened my mouth to call to her, she suddenly yelled, hugged herself tightly and dropped to the concrete. Before I could take a single step toward her, something landed on the ground next to her.
I heard it speak in a soft, silky voice that seduces, makes you feel safe and warm, reels you in..… “I’m glad to find you here at this time. You see, I must stay out of the light. I only come out at night when evil roams.” It bent quickly over my friend and covered her body with its wings.
Then it rose and as I stood immobilized, it looked at me. I could see the wings, the long nails, flowing hair and tail of a beast. And the eyes, oh yes, the eyes, burning eyes that grip and hold one spellbound. My throat went dry. It remained, silently, and I continued to be frozen with fright. Then, with the strongest effort, I tore my eyes away. I felt a surge of strength in my legs. I fled.
At once, a shadow fell over me. I felt the air from beating wings bearing down, but the shadow passed.
I knew then, I knew what had accosted my friend. What pursues those who are lost, who are helpless: Abchanchu, Upyr, Vampyre.
Somewhat recovering my senses, I realize how much I feared for my friend. I was also recovering some of my courage, I returned to the site where she had fallen. Perhaps some help could be found for her before she became ——-
But strangely, there were no marks upon her neck, she was neither pale nor gaunt. She was slightly stirring. Using my phone, I called for help, emergency came. I made no mention of that supernatural observance.
One week to the day, she and I sat in a diner talking about many things. Suddenly, she told me that after her heart attack felled her, she had a strange dream. Something came, and breathed new life into her as hers was being spent.
At home that night, I thought about what she had said. Could it really have been?
Meanwhile, on the edge of forever, God looked and smiled upon one of his own. “You did well last week, Leliel, you did very well indeed.”

Creating "Dead of Night"

A new look at vampire stories.


Afterthoughts for "Dead of Night"

Night is a time of rigor, but also of mercy. There are truths which one can only see when it's dark.

Isaac Bashevis Singer
Teibele and Her Demon

What hath night to do with sleep?
John Milton, Paradise Lost
The night is the hardest time to be alive and 4 a.m. knows all my secrets.
Poppy Z. Brite

No comments:

Post a Comment