Linda

POETRY IS WHAT THE SOULS OF THE ANCIENTS SPEAK TO THOSE STILL SEEKING WHAT IS MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THE WORLD. FROM: LINDA

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Thank you to Credo Espoir for publishing 5 of my poems today.  Here are 3 of them.





Open Spaces

It feels great
to be out from under
rolling carpets of steel and stone.
I’m standing with outlying anonymity,
breathing in the glory of solitude.
Enjoying the simple subtraction 
of so much weight from shoulders.

It’s so easy to forestall deep sorrow here
while feeling the deepening rumble
of a wet, thunderous afternoon
within my chest.
The wind battering from all sides,
turning my hair like the Medusa,
as I wait for the open spaces,
and the nighttime canvas of midnight blue
to be painted across the sky.




Piccadilly Dreaming Away From Shore 

Ice cream,
Slow time,
Colors are vivid.
Music makes the feet move,
Times are good,
And people are in love with life.

They all watch mundane things
with great gusto-

clouds:
high and wispy,
slender vapor,
a sky full of ships
and waves

flowers:
full of kaleidoscopic, 
vibrant color,
swirling soft petals,
boat propellors above the sea

Brown rice:
nutty flavored part of a seafarer’s diet,
chewy on the tongue
with that periodic crunch,
a dollop of honey atop

hats:
perched on heads as pirate scarves,
hat bands and feather accessorizing,
brims overhanging
the beautiful faces of the romantics

tea:
strongly brewed,
poured into patterned teacups,
quixotic ideas drunk in
not unlike a sailor’s rum


Idealists with
big thoughts,
breaking chains,
Piccadilly dreamers floating upon the new ark.




Bicycle-Life Cycle’s Rise and Fall

The world no longer shines gently as the yellow season.
There are no cooling features to this day.
I can hardly bear the oppressive heat in clothes.
Ceramic birds fly,
and from my once elegant arms,
my wings beat,
growing from seeds of bruise and laceration.
Sitting upon this vehicle,
drawing upon my will,
I find I have gears I’ve never used.
I feel the burning strain in my lungs,
hear the clamor of oxygen for space.
My wheels find purchase as I climb
and finally respite.
I have arrived at the signaled end and beginning,
a place of silence and no regret,
my stele now planted at the apex.
And over the hill,
I see no poverty of rainbows.
The swirl of the stars grows,
even as the moon slips from behind thin clouds,
even in the sun’s silver flame.
The bicycle gains speed in my ceremonial descent,
dropping all falsehoods in its wake.
I am no longer its captain
and all at once I am homesick
for a place I’ve never been.
Someone once asked me
how much does light weigh.
I think I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment