Linda

POETRY IS WHAT THE SOULS OF THE ANCIENTS SPEAK TO THOSE STILL SEEKING WHAT IS MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THE WORLD. FROM: LINDA

Monday, December 18, 2017


A big thank you to Editor Matthew Maichen and his team for publishing 'War Paint' in The Metaworker.

http://www.themetaworker.com




“War Paint” by Linda Imbler

Tonight the battle will begin.
But first, as the concealer smooths
across my eye folds, I picture her breathlessly
saying hello to him, always making sure to say his name
in that soft, hushed sensual way.
Some foundation covers my face.
I remember she had to have her picture
taken with him at the last party.
Next, eyeliner and mascara will help my green eyes pop.
The last time we ‘met’, I watched her as she leaned against him
for just the briefest of moments, after running into us
‘accidentally’ at the grocery store.
I draw lip stain across my lips to lush effect.
I’m recalling her touching his arm for a mere second,
her smile remaining, so sure she was of her victory.
Tonight, I have applied my war paint to best advantage.
As I check my mirror image, I am confident
I will win both the battle and the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment