Linda

POETRY IS WHAT THE SOULS OF THE ANCIENTS SPEAK TO THOSE STILL SEEKING WHAT IS MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THE WORLD. FROM: LINDA

Sunday, September 23, 2018

A big thank you to Johnny Olson and Michael Clay of Mad Swirl for publishing my poem.



Lamentations on the Discovery of Evil

In my teens
I always slept with the radio on.
Even in slumber 
I’d hear my favorite songs.
But, I awoke two different nights
and my regular music wasn’t playing.
That’s when I knew the world was changing.

First it was Martin
and then it was Bobby.
I spent the next hours 
repeatedly sobbing.

The day after each event
I met with my friends.
Through our tears came sounds like the
ragged breath of tired dogs.
We stood as ones stupified. 
What were those sounds heard within the train?
It seemed 
as if stars screamed
as we chanted for the sun to rise
against the news of those days.
The reporters
with their steely dissection
of the facts
were as
nettles on our hearts.

 How many more years
would we be subjected to fears?
How much pain this all caused
even after the radio button was paused.
Don’t worry,” they said,
There will come a settling of what’s been dusted”
“No,” we told them, 
the world will never speed up again
because the center is now rusted.
And what we once believed
will never again be trusted.


We knew the Devil was a liar, 
but he still showed us a horrible truth.
That man may love,
 but also hate
and only man can create

those things that can’t be soothed.

No comments:

Post a Comment